This is a great resource for teachers and students. The website is regularly updated with summaries of recent news articles in seven different levels. There are also supplemental activities included with each free lesson.
Read the articles and complete some of the activities if you wish. When you read:
- Time yourself the first time. Less than three minutes is good. Go for overall understanding–do not try to understand every word.
- Before looking up any words, ask yourself: Who? What? Where? When? Why? How?
- Could you answer any of the questions? Great! If not, that’s okay! Now try looking up difficult words to see if that helps.
- Read the article one more time to make sure you understand each of the Who? What? Where? When? Why? and How? questions.
- You can use the articles in various ways for reading, writing, listening, and speaking exercises. One method is to have students read and summarize the article (verbally or on paper) and then discuss the material with the teacher or other students.
This website is another great resource for self-study or use in lessons. It has many listening exercises such as TED Talks and podcasts with two listening speeds and text of the spoken material for each. Teachers and students can use it like BreakingNewsEnglish.com.
Business Textbooks for Beginners: