Listening Practice 1: Veggie Burger
Take a look at these words and look up the ones you don’t understand. Ask your teacher questions, too.
- contributor to climate change
- ecological footprint
- molecular level
- Hemoglobin (heme)
- vast quantities
- remarkably similar
- ground chuck
- to charge a premium
Next, read the script while listening. Try to find the answers to these questions. Advanced speakers: Summarize the article while also answering all four of these questions.
- What did the researcher do?
- Why did he say he wanted to do it?
- What were the good qualities (things) about it?
- What were the bad qualities (things) about it?
Next, discuss the issue and the professor’s solution.
- What do you think about the professor’s solution?
- Have you ever tried a veggie burger? How was it? How was it similar and different to a beef burger?
- What do you know about the topic of climate change?
- What do you think about climate change? Do you think it is caused by humans?
- What is the environmental impact of livestock farming? What areas of livestock farming impact the environment the most and why?
- What do you think about these environmental impacts of livestock farming? Is it a problem? Should something be change